Friday, June 12, 2015

The Trouble with Titles

I suck at titles. It's a hard spot to be in as an author. I ran through about a dozen titles for A GROWING Desire and, honestly, I'm still not happy with that title. I think part of my problem is I try to be too clever with the title, instill too much meaning. Those are always my favorite titles, but sometimes a really clever title just goes right over everyone's heads.

Sometimes it doesn't even have to be all that clever.

Titles that are simple, clever and memorable and difficult to come by, which is probably why many authors use titles that are just simple and memorable, i.e. Lord of the Rings, A Song of Ice and Fire, "Nothing Right" (that last one is a short story and book by Antonya Nelson. You should be reading her stuff. It's not erotica, it's just damn good.)

Other times I just want to use titles that I think are hilarious. For instance, I really want to name my current novella "Ice Station Futa." Look, I swear to god, if you knew what I knew, it'd be hilarious. That title, however, has to be one of the top 5 dumbest titles I've ever come up with, and that is SAYING something.

I also want to go with "The Maltese Futanari" which is a reference/homage to a Humphrey Bogart film noir movie. I'll probably end up going with that title, even though I don't care for it, and in many respects it's nearly as dumb as "Ice Station Futa."

What do you think?

B.E.

No comments:

Post a Comment